735-5 Qualities You Need to Develop to Become a Great Leader
listen to 735-5 Qualities You Need to Develop to Become a Great Leader
5 Qualities You Need to Develop to Become a Great Leader
Things That Will Help Expand Your Leadership Confidence and Success
The qualities you need to develop to become a great leader are valuable to know if you want to increase your leadership confidence and success.
Leadership is a work-in-progress. No one reaches a stage where they do not need to further develop their leadership abilities.
If you are committed to becoming a great leader, developing the right qualities and skills is essential.
Why People Follow Great Leaders
People follow great leaders because:
- They motivate others and inspire them to act.
- They support others in achieving goals.
- They create a safe environment for others to express their ideas freely.
- They stay focused on the big picture and where they are leading others.
- They influence others to perform at a higher level.
Differences Between a Good Leader and a Great Leader
Good leaders are common, whereas great leaders are rare. The main differences between them include:
- A good leader builds confidence, whereas a great leader instills beliefs that make you confident.
- A good leader shows what they can do, while a great leader shows you what you are capable of.
- A good leader improves what already exits, whereas a great leader disrupts and paves new ways of doing things.
- A good leader knows and improves their weaknesses, while a great leader turns theirs and their team’s weaknesses into strengths.
- A good leader can get by without being noticed, whereas a great leader takes command of the ship and controls the direction they are heading.
5 Qualities You Need to Become a Great Leader
There is nothing wrong with being a good leader. There is always a need for such leaders. To become a great leader, you need to go the extra mile.
Here are five qualities you need to become a great leader, as you develop your leadership confidence and lead your team to more success.
- Articulate a vision others will buy into. Being a leader implies you are leading others to a destination. That is your vision. When you can convey a vision that inspires and moves people to act, it brings a greater level of clarity for everyone involved.
- Act as a steward to the vision. Your role is to act in service to the vision you have defined. This means the vision will drive your decisions and actions. This allows you to focus on what will get you and your team closer to the vision.
- Develop others beyond what they believe they are capable of. A great leader enables others to believe in the belief they have in them. Sometimes, team members may doubt themselves or not have the confidence to take risks. A great leader empowers them to go beyond what they believe they can.
- Disrupt the status quo through innovation and creativity. This means not settling for past successes. A great leader’s focus is always on continuous improvement. This will also help you make tough decisions despite resistance from team members.
- Have a high level of self-awareness. You can only develop your team members and achieve success to the level at which you develop yourself. If you want to achieve increased performance and results, focusing on your personal growth is essential. As you gain more self-awareness, you will know how to support your team members better.
If you become a great leader, your value and ability to influence change increases dramatically. This means you will support others to become the best they can be and make a bigger difference.
It will also have a ripple effect in the lives of others as they benefit from your leadership qualities and improve their lives.
Action Step: If you are in a leadership role, review your team vision and whether you have articulated it well. Ask your team members if they know what the vision. Communicate your vision often so your team members know the direction they are headed in.
Question: What are other qualities you need to develop to become a better leader?