7 Keys That Will Help You Make The Right Decision Every Time
One of the most valuable skills we can develop is our ability to make better decisions in life. The quality of our lives is directly related to the quality of the decisions we make.
If we consistently make good quality decisions, we will have much better results and an overall better quality life. If we consistently make poor decisions, it will show up as poor results in our lives.
The importance of making good quality or right decisions over time will result in:
- Consistent forward progress towards what we want.
- Better ability to make adjustments quickly if we’re off track.
- Less chances of feeling stuck, stagnant or unmotivated.
- More new or unique experiences.
The ability to make the right decisions is a skill that can be improved with practice and discipline over time. Once we experience positive results from making right decisions consistently, we will gain more confidence and also trust ourselves more to make the right decisions every time.
One of the biggest decisions I have made up until now in life is to leave a secure, comfortable career and follow what I am passionate about through my own business. Even though I had agonised over making that decision for about four years, when I eventually made the decision, even though it created new challenges I had not experienced previously, in my heart, I knew it was the right decision.
Sometimes we can’t explain why something is right for us and similarly, I just knew it was the right decision because I used some of the ideas before in my decision-making process.
Here are seven things to be aware of that will help us make better decisions more consistently, which in turn, will strengthen our decision-making ability and get us closer to where we want to be in life a lot faster.
- Listen to your gut. Our gut or the inklings we get is simply our intuition guiding us to make right decisions. While I believe our intuition is never wrong, the only way to know that is true for certain is to test it out. The way to get started is to follow our intuition with small decisions initially. Once we start trusting our intuition more and more, we can follow our intuition for major decisions in life knowing that we have evidence that our intuition is always working in our favour.
- Conduct a personal decision assessment. It is extremely valuable to reflect back on the major decisions we’ve made in our lives up until now and analyse what the impact of those decisions have been. If we’re being totally honest with ourselves, we’ll know whether at the time we truly believed we made the right decisions or not. A personal decision assessment will provide valuable insights on how to make better decisions in the future.
- Give yourself the gift of time. Before jumping into a decision, sometimes it is valuable to pause, get centred and listen to our inner voice, before making a decision. Decisions that are made in haste or under duress often do not end well, which can cause some serious repercussions later on in life.
- Reach out to trusted advisors. Having people in our lives who we can trust and have our best interests at heart is beneficial especially if we have major decisions to make. While at the end of the day, we still must make decisions ourselves, our trusted advisors can provide different perspectives and make us consider things we may miss.
- Ask yourself better questions. As the quality of questions we ask control the quality of results we get, when we start asking better questions, we will experience better results. One question that we can ask is, “If I do or don’t make a decision now, what are the implications?”
- Focus on the benefits or opportunity. Most times, we won’t know the real implications of a decision or be in a position to anticipate what may happen. Therefore, it is valuable to focus on what the benefits will be if we make a decision, one way or the other.
- Have a clear vision for your life. All our decisions in life should move us closer to where we want to be. If we don’t know where we want to be or if we don’t have a clear vision for our lives, then we won’t know whether the decisions we are making are moving us closer to what we want or where we want to be. The clearer our visions in life, the easier it will be to make decisions that will help us reach our visions.
The good thing about decisions is that, if over time, we find that a decision is no longer right for us, we can always change it, if we want to. No decision is ever disastrous because we do get second chances in life. The only way to make the right decisions every time is to make more decisions.
Action Step: Make a decision this week that you know you must make. It could be a decision you have been avoiding and you know it is something that must be done. Make that difficult decision by using any of the ideas mentioned above.
Question: What is another thing we can do to help us make the right decision every time?
You can leave a comment by clicking here.