How to Develop Tenacity So You Can Overcome Your Biggest Problems
5 Ways You Can Condition Yourself to Continue to Move Forward When Things Get Tough
A842-How to Develop Tenacity So You Can Overcome Your Biggest Problems
listen to A842-How to Develop Tenacity So You Can Overcome Your Biggest Problems
When you develop tenacity, you will continue doing what’s required to get to the outcomes you want, especially when things get tough.
How you deal with the challenges you’ll face when pursuing your goals will affect your motivation and willingness to keep going.
Having tenacity will help. This separates highly successful people from those who achieve average success.
1-Minute Summary Video
What is Tenacity?
The dictionary defines tenacity as “the quality of being tenacious, or of holding fast; persistence.”
Tenacity is the ability to keep going even when things are tough, and you’d rather quit.
Having tenacity means being persistent and staying on course to something important, even when evidence or other people suggest otherwise.
It means not giving up easily and having an inner drive to achieve something you really want.
Why Develop Tenacity?
The benefits of developing tenacity include:
- You will not let obstacles stop you from getting what you want.
- You will increase your desire to achieve things important to you.
- You will not quit easily.
- You will develop greater self-confidence.
- You will have a positive attitude in tough situations.
- You will become a better problem-solver.
- You will learn new things about yourself and what you’re capable of.
- You will trust yourself more.
When you develop tenacity, you increase your chances of success because you will do whatever it takes to achieve your goals.
How Do You Know If You Have Tenacity?
You have tenacity if:
- You’ve been dealing with a situation for a long time and you won’t quit because you know you can overcome it.
- You challenge yourself to take the next action you can, even when you don’t feel like it.
- You deal with your problems with a positive attitude because you know you will always encounter challenges.
- You stick to what you believe is the best thing to do, even when others may say otherwise.
- You have an inner knowing things will work out well for you.
- You try again even when you experience failure.
- You focus on improving areas you know you are weak at so you have higher levels of personal success.
5 Ways to Develop Tenacity
Here are five ways you can develop tenacity, which will enable you to move forward even when things get tough.
1. Surround yourself with people who will encourage and challenge you
You cannot do everything on your own. Having people who will support you when things get difficult will help you stay motivated.
They can also lift you up when you feel disappointed or discouraged.
2. Focus on what will move your success and life forward
Be clear what your priorities are. It’s best to focus on one major thing at a time. That will ensure you give as much energy to the thing that’s most important to you now.
3. Do something that will cause you to grow daily
Just like any physical muscle, tenacity is a mental muscle you can develop. Having a learning and growth plan will ensure you’re developing the personal attributes that will give you the best chance to reach your goals.
4. Have a “create and adjust” mindset
Not everything you do will work. When you have a “create and adjust” mindset, you will let your results inform you what you need to change.
That will speed up your progress and also prevent you from making other mistakes.
5. Manage your expectations well
While you should always dream big and challenge yourself, it shouldn’t cause you to believe what you’re doing is beyond what you’re capable of.
Set milestones that will maintain momentum as you progress towards your ultimate outcome.
As you develop tenacity, you will have more self-confidence and belief in your abilities. This will allow you to keep going even when things seem like they aren’t going as planned.
By developing tenacity, you know you can deal with anything life throws at you, which is how you want to live your life.
Action Step: Review how you handled your last major challenge or problem. Do you think you showed tenacity? Identify what you need to work on increase your ability to stay tenacious.
Question: What are other ways you can develop tenacity?