How to Experience Wonder in Your Everyday Life
Why Making This a Daily Practice Will Lead to More Appreciation, Joy, and Love for Life
A844-How to Experience Wonder in Your Everyday Life
listen to A844-How to Experience Wonder in Your Everyday Life
You can experience wonder in your everyday life if you make it an intention and have daily practices to support you.
It’s not uncommon for adults to disconnect from their child-like state and miss opportunities to experience wonder.
If you experience life from a state of wonder, you will have a different reality and feel positive emotions regularly.
1-Minute Summary Video
What Does it Mean to Experience Wonder?
To experience wonder means to:
- See or notice things with a positive frame of mind.
- Appreciate the beauty of life in every situation.
- Feel connected to everyone and all things.
- Have a healthy level of self-love and love for others.
- Feel inspired by life and the beauty of nature.
- Know that life is always happening for you.
- Discover new ways of being and living.
- Have an optimistic outlook.
- Embrace change.
- Be grateful for your life and for being yourself.
What You Will Gain When You Experience Wonder
When you develop practices to experience wonder regularly, the benefits include:
- You will accept your life isn’t just about you.
- You will love yourself and others more.
- You will have a much deeper connection with people.
- You will have better mental and emotional health.
- You will manage stress a lot better and feel relaxed more often.
- You will experience inner peace and fulfilment.
- You will have a higher level of trust in yourself, others, and the universe.
- You will understand life better and what your role or purpose is.
- You will become more joyful and generous.
- You will grow as a person and develop wisdom.
Living in a joyful and wondrous state is a much better way to experience life than feeling hurried, burdened, or unappreciative.
Why People Do Not Experience Wonder Regularly
People do not experience wonder regularly because:
- They do not make it a regular practice.
- They focus on problems or on what’s missing rather than what they have.
- They feel they don’t have time for simple things in life.
- They do not allow themselves to appreciate nature.
- They’re constantly hustling or in survival mode and do not stop to enjoy what’s always around them.
- They’re stuck in their old ways of doing things.
- They lack patience and miss out on opportunities.
5 Ways to Experience Wonder Daily
Here are five ways you can experience wonder daily so can live with a greater sense of appreciation, joy, and love for life.
1. Learn to just be and embrace the present moment
The past is over and the future is not here yet. All you will ever have is the present moment.
You can train yourself to be more present through mindfulness techniques and not constantly feeling rushed or pressured.
2. Cultivate your natural state of innocence and curiosity
As a child, it was easy for you to experience wonder. You can reconnect to that state by slowing down. Carve out time daily to appreciate your life or the people you connect with regularly.
If something unexpected happens, instead of reacting, just say to yourself, “Isn’t that interesting?” You can also ask, “What do I need to learn from this?”
3. Harvest the good in any situation
When you can accept life is happening for you rather than to you, how you see any situation will change. You will look for what’s positive or what’s possible.
This attitude will also help you become a better problem-solver.
4. Acknowledge all your experiences
Your life is a collection of moments or memories, pleasant and unpleasant. Everything you have ever experienced has led you to where you are today.
When you remember and acknowledge all you have been through, you will have a greater appreciation of how wonderful life really is.
5. Have a daily reflection practice and document what was meaningful
A quote to remember is, “Pale ink is better than a photographic memory.” A powerful way to remember the experiences you’ve had is to capture them. You will have wonderful moments and challenging situations.
When you reflect on your day and document your experiences, you will have a collection of memories that will remind you of the beauty of life.
How You Can Protect Your Sense of Wonder
Things you can do to protect your sense of wonder include:
- Make your health and wellness a priority.
- Have an optimistic attitude.
- Train yourself to respond rather than react.
- Connect with nature regularly.
- Follow what you’re drawn to.
- Remain curious.
- Practice gratitude and appreciation daily.
- Manage your energy well every day.
You will give yourself a valuable gift when you experience wonder in your everyday life. No matter what you’re going through, always remember how you respond will create your reality.
Allow yourself to pause regularly to feel the day and stay connected to your sense of awe and wonder.
Action Step: Set an intention to give yourself time to experience wonder daily. You can start with five minutes. Define what practices you will apply so you can reap the benefits of doing it throughout your day.
Question: What are other ways to you can experience wonder in your everyday life?