How to Find Your True Motivations in Life
Unless you know how to find your true motivations in life, it’s highly probable you won’t always make decisions that are best for you.
Everything you do in life has an intent or motivation behind it. The clearer you are on your true motivations, the easier life will become.
Why is it Important to Find Your True Motivations?
When you know your true motivations in life, you will:
- Find it easier to identify what actions to take to move forward.
- Have a clearer sense of direction.
- Deal with setbacks or challenges better.
- Have a higher level of focus.
- Not get distracted or go off course easily.
How Will You Know You Have Found Your True Motivations?
You can be extrinsically or intrinsically motivated.
If you are extrinsically motivated, it means you depend on something external, like a reward, an event or an experience, to motivate you. If you are intrinsically motivated, it means you have an inner drive or passion that keeps you going.
While both are valuable, it is more powerful to be intrinsically motivated because you don’t have to rely on something to happen to get motivated.
You know you have found your true motivations if:
- You do something even if there is no reward associated with it.
- You want to do something because you love it.
- You don’t have to force yourself to do what needs to be done.
- You do something because you want to and not because you are told to or believe you should.
- You are always thinking about how you can get better at doing something.
- You feel good about what you are doing because you know you are making a difference.
When you find your true motivations in life, you will progress faster towards the outcomes you want.
5 Ways to Find Your True Motivations in Life
There are many ways to get motivated, therefore it is important to know what’s best for you. Here are five ways to find your true motivations so you can consistently stay on track to achieve your goals in life.
- Know the costs of not being motivated. If you cannot motivate yourself, there are costs involved. These can include slower progress, less success, more frustration and regret. Knowing what it will cost you if you are not motivated is a way to find your true motivations.
- Get clear on the difference your motivation will make. Everyone’s time is limited, therefore for some, leaving a legacy is important. If you want to leave a legacy or make a lasting difference, you have to know what it looks like. Once you know what matters most to you especially after you’re gone, that can help find your true motivations.
- Identify who needs you to be motivated. For some, making a difference or leaving a legacy is not their focus. However, everyone has someone who needs them to be the best they can. If you know the difference your actions will make to others, it will help identify what’s important.
- Reconnect to the things you would love to do. This is often the easiest and quickest way to find your motivations. The things you love to do are clues to your higher purpose or calling in life. When you discover them, you don’t have to force yourself to take action because you love doing them. When you love something, it’s easier to stay motivated.
- Establish rituals that will generate motivation. An effective way to find your motivation is to generate it. This means doing things that will cause you to be motivated. Creating empowering rituals or habits will help you stay motivated.
The interesting about motivation is that it is often short-lived, which is why it has to be generated consistently. While finding your true motivations in life can be easy, staying motivated is often more challenging.
When you have found your true motivations, you are more likely to navigate through your challenges with confidence and ease. If you don’t find your true motivations in life, you risk doing things that won’t give you the joy or satisfaction you want.
Action Step: Assess how motivated you are every day and whether you have found your true motivations in life. If you know you have not found your true motivations, give yourself time to find out what they are. Use the ideas suggested above as a starting point.
Question: What are more ways to find your true motivations in life?