How to Mentally Prepare Yourself to Deal with Important Life Changes
5 Ways You Can Be at Your Best So You Can Handle Unexpected Events
A820-How to Mentally Prepare Yourself to Deal with Important Life Changes
listen to A820-How to Mentally Prepare Yourself to Deal with Important Life Changes
Before you make important life changes or when have to deal with them, it’s valuable to know how to mentally prepare yourself.
Change happens constantly in life, and part of dealing with any change is preparing yourself mentally for it.
Mental preparation will help you cope with the highs and lows of changes in life without generating additional stress.
1-Minute Summary Video
What Does It Mean to Mentally Prepare Yourself?
To mentally prepare yourself means being ready for a situation as best as you can, so you don’t have surprises that can affect your mental and emotional states.
It’s about rehearsing in your mind how you will handle a situation before it actually occurs.
While unexpected events may occur no matter how much you prepare, being ready mentally is a lot better than not doing any preparation.
Consider mental preparation as training for your mind. Just like you train your body for better physical health, you also need to train your mind for better mental health, which will help you deal with important life changes.
Why Mentally Prepare Yourself When Dealing with Important Life Changes?
It’s valuable to mentally prepare yourself whenever you’re dealing with major changes because:
- You will have greater clarity when your mind is calm.
- You will make better decisions.
- You will not react to unforeseen events and be in a better frame of mind.
- You will not generate unhealthy emotions such as anxiety, stress, frustration, or fear, which means you will avoid negative outcomes.
- You will learn to accept things as they are, without wishing they were different or better.
- You will take empowered actions.
- You will learn to generate positive self-talk and eliminate or reduce feelings of inadequacy.
If how you deal with things reflects what’s going on internally for you, it makes sense to make mental preparation a priority whenever you need to deal with significant life changes.
5 Ways You Can Mentally Prepare Yourself to Deal with Major Life Changes
Here are five ways you can mentally prepare yourself to deal with important life changes, so you can be at your best to handle unanticipated events.
- Accept the change or situation for what it is. There is power in surrendering and accepting your reality rather than resisting it or wishing things were different. This also means giving up blaming and complaining about your situation. When you can see a change in your life from a neutral perspective, the better you can deal with the situation.
- Address whatever is coming up for you. If a change makes you feel uncomfortable, it means you have internal fears or have made assumptions about what it means. It’s best to work with someone who can help you process those fears. When you address your fears, you will feel more empowered to take actions to handle your situation as best as you can.
- Build a picture of what you want. A change implies something new is happening or about to happen. Focus on the bigger picture and the opportunities a change can offer you. Visualize how you want things to go. The clearer the picture in your mind, the easier it’ll be to focus on what you need to do.
- Create your plan of action. To get the outcome you want will require new actions. Instead of being scattered or unstructured, a plan will give you clarity, which means you will know what to do. This can also help reduce feeling overwhelmed and allow you to focus on one thing at a time.
- Learn from the experience of others. No matter what you’re dealing with, someone has already experienced it. Rather than attempt to deal with a major change yourself, speak to someone to get fresh perspectives on how you can handle your situation better.
Things to Remember If You’re Struggling Mentally to Deal with a Change in Your Life
Here are things to remember if a change you’re dealing with is affecting you mentally.
- Ask yourself, “What’s the opportunity this change can bring?”
- Trust that things will work out.
- Adopt rituals that will generate healthy emotions.
- Always remember you are stronger than you may give yourself credit.
- Avoid comparing your situation to someone else’s.
- Make your self-care and wellness a priority.
- Look for things you’re grateful for and for things going well in your life.
- Ask for help when you know you need to.
- Taking one small step can lead to a big breakthrough.
- How you deal with your situation now will help you in the future.
Mental preparation is key to how you deal with any change. When you have ways you can mentally prepare yourself to deal with important life changes, you will handle them a lot better.
This also means you will become a stronger, wiser, and more resilient person who can deal with whatever happens in life. That’s a quality that will serve you well.
Action Step: If you’re going through a transition or an important life change, assess how you’re dealing with it. Identify things you can adopt that will help you deal with the change better.
Question: What are others ways to mentally prepare yourself to deal with important life changes?