How to Switch Your Mindset If This Year Has Not Gone as Planned
5 Ways You Can Reframe Setbacks or Disappointments to Your Advantage
A808-How to Switch Your Mindset If This Year Has Not Gone as Planned
listen to A808-How to Switch Your Mindset If This Year Has Not Gone as Planned
If the year has not gone as planned, you will need to switch your mindset to avoid repeating mistakes you’ve made so you can improve your results.
To switch your mindset will require introspection and a willingness to get uncomfortable as you get totally honest with yourself.
1-Minute Summary Video
Examples of the Year Not Going Well
Common examples of the year not going well for someone can include:
- You have gone backwards financially.
- Your health has deteriorated.
- You have experienced high levels of stress.
- You have suffered mental or emotional exhaustion.
- You have missed achieving your goals.
- You feel stuck as the year has not been much different from previous years.
- Your relationships have suffered.
- You’re unhappy with your work or your personal life.
If these have occurred, shifting your mindset will make a difference and allow you to have a more successful life.
Why Do You Need to Switch Your Mindset
You need to switch your mindset if the year has not gone the way you want because:
- You will avoid repeating mistakes you’ve made.
- You will learn more about yourself.
- You will develop a growth mindset instead of having a fixed mindset.
- You will discover areas for improvement, and also other possibilities.
- You will prepare well for what’s ahead.
Benefits of Switching Your Mindset
When you switch your mindset, the benefits include:
- Increased motivation to achieve what you want.
- Improvement in your ability to deal with setbacks or failure.
- Greater self-confidence to pursue your goals.
- Willingness to take risks.
- Improved mental and emotional states, which means less stress.
- Higher levels of resilience when faced with problems.
Signs You Need to Switch Your Mindset
Everyone deals with success or failure differently, which is why it’s valuable to know if you need to switch your mindset.
Signs you need to switch your mindset so you can have a better year include:
- You have lost interest in activities you enjoyed before.
- You start things, but do not finish them.
- You don’t have work-life balance.
- You experience overwhelm, worry, frustration, and stress often.
- You get discouraged easily when something doesn’t work out well.
- You make excuses for why you haven’t achieved the results you want.
- You know you can do better, but don’t understand why you’re not.
- You complain a lot about the circumstances in your life.
If you want to achieve what successful people do, it starts with having a positive mindset and knowing how to reframe things.
5 Ways to Switch Your Mindset to Achieve New Results
Everything you create is governed by what’s going internally for you. The good news is you can take simple steps to change your reality.
Here are five things you can do to switch your mindset so you can reframe your setbacks or disappointments and use them to your advantage to achieve new results.
- Work with a mentor or coach to review your year. Sometimes, you only see things from your perspective and not from other perspectives. Working with someone who can offer feedback will allow you to remember and celebrate your wins, highlight areas for improvement, clarify your expectations, and identify blocks you need to overcome.
- Identify what you need to learn to develop yourself. You can always learn new things to get to another level in life. These include skills to develop, knowledge to gain, tools to learn, or habits to develop. This will help set you up for success as you continue to focus on your personal growth.
- Connect with like-minded people who will support you. The people you surround yourself with influence your mindset, self-talk, confidence, and the actions you take. It’s important to not spend time with unsuccessful people who would rather bring you down instead of focusing on improving themselves. Your network is an important environment for a successful life.
- Focus on quarterly objectives. Having long-term and short-term goals is valuable. However, having goals that are too far ahead or too big will make it harder to track and manage. One technique that will help is having 90-day goals. This will ensure you review your progress regularly rather than relying on an annual review to provide insights and data.
- Let go of any attachment to how things should be. Most times, people set high expectations and overestimate what they can achieve in one year. While it’s useful to have goals that will stretch you, it’s also valuable to not have any attachment to how you will achieve them. Being attached to something implies a lack of confidence and faith things will work out well.
As Steve Jobs said, “You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future.”
Switching your mindset requires you to look back first before you can move forward faster. Once you can switch your mindset, you will know how to handle anything.
If you’re willing to switch your mindset, it means you want to create better results and continue to grow as a person so you can have a better quality of life.
Action Step: Schedule time to review your year, or if you set 90-day goals, review your quarter. It’s best if you do it with someone. Capture any insights and lessons so you can set yourself up for greater success next year.
Question: What are other ways to switch your mindset if your year has not gone well?